Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

This is the second book I have read by Gillian Flynn and I still am unsure if she is a brilliant writer or just plain crazy.   Gone Girl was the first book I read by her and man what a story!  Those people are completely nuts!  Same thing with Sharp Objects.   It's like this weird Wes Craven-Stephen King-Twilight Zone thing meets Janet Evanovich-Mary Higgins Clark-Sue Crafton type of psychological murder mystery story, if that helps sum it up for you at all.  Had a definite Children of the Corn feel to it.

Flynn has a real knack for writing about people with various psychosis and there are usually several characters in her book that have a psychological disorder in some form or other.  Is this a comment on society?  Do we all have psychotic tendencies and some people just are more outgoing about them than others?  It's likely.  It's hard to know who is truly "normal" in this day and age. 

This book was a bit predictable to me.  Perhaps I have read enough mysteries to know who the bad guy is in these books but if you read Gone Girl first then this one would keep you guessing and wondering what will happen to Camille in the end.  I kept wondering if she was going to stay with her mom and not turn her in.  ;)  It was still an entertaining read and definitely not as crazy as Gone Girl. I did feel a bit more normal after reading it so thank you Gillian Flynn for making me feel less crazy.   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment