Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Everyone knows the saying "Actions speak louder than words" and for the most part that is very true.  However, as this book (I feel) illustrates, words can have more meaning and more power than the action.  Without the words, there is no action.  What Hitler did was obviously deplorable.  The calculated killing of millions of people will forever be a stain on human existence.  But would it have had the same impact if Hitler had said nothing but nice things about the Jews and all the others he had killed?  Would people have listened to him if he said "The Jews are such nice, kind and loving people.  Let's kill them"?  Or would they have all laughed in his face and there would never have been a Holocaust?  Without his words, his conviction, I highly doubt he would have had as many followers.  

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.  The ending of course is very powerful and moving.  I feel that the approach the author took to this book was different and fascinating. I thought at first I would hate that he would "give away" the ending throughout the story but never felt cheated of what I knew was inevitably going to happen because when the end finally came it was explained further and had much more poignancy.  A great book and one that should be read by all.  I hope the movie does this book justice and isn't another book-to-movie disappointment.  Not holding my breath for that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment