Monday, November 4, 2013

Quilts

I didn't start to appreciate quilts until about 4 or 5 years ago when I was working for an aerospace company in Moorpark, CA when I met my dear friend Catherine.  Catherine mentioned she was a quilted and brought in some of her quilts to work one day.  And they were gorgeous!!!!!  To think that someone made them with their own two hands was astonishing to me.  I guess prior to this I just figured all the quilts I saw in stores were mass produced so who cared.  But to think a person could make such beautiful pieces of art intrigued me. 

So, I asked Catherine how I can learn to quilt.  She said first, buy a sewing machine.  I went on to Overstock.com and bought a cheap $120 Brother sewing machine.  Done.  Next, I needed to learn how to sew and use my machine.  I searched around my town for sewing classes and finally found one at the local Sew and Vac store and signed up.  Done.  Then Catherine came over to my house and showed me some basic quilting techniques and showed what type of tools I need to buy.  Sadly, Catherine left the company and we lost touch here and there.  But I still wanted to quilt. 

I went to one of the local quilt stores and signed up for a beginning quilting class and the obsession began.  That was this past January.  It hasn't even been a whole year yet!  and I'm completely addicted.  :)  If I go a few days without quilting I start to get that itch and then I have to go home and do nothing but sew and iron and cut.  I love it! 

Here is a picture of my first ever quilt:



I have finished one quilt and I have basted two more.  I started to quilt one of them and hope to have it done and binded by this weekend, wish me luck!  I will post pictures of it soon.

Quilting is therapeutic and I love it!  It brings me joy to make things for people I love and care about and for myself too.  :)

"Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment